22 October, 2008
So today, it’s all about 12 reasons why I love Seattle.
1. The weather. Yeah, the rain sucks, and winters are miserable. However I’d much rather the rain than snow…and it doesn’t get over 90 degrees that often.
3. Pike Place Market-it’s fun to go there on a day off, get some fruit from one of the stands (ahem, I’m talking go to Sosio’s or else…), get an international Vogue, and go to the park at the end of the market and read.
4. The quirkiness. Pemco, a local insurance company, has their “Northwest Profiles” and they all hit on what makes the NW different-from the Greenlake powerwalkers (a lake in the middle of the city with a 2.8 mile trail loop) to the perennial powerwashers (yep, got tons of those…) to the ponytailed software geeks (we do have Microsoft after all).
5. You can go a half hour away in many different directions, and it feels like you’re in a different world.
6. It’s one of the most diverse places in America-it’s a true melting pot. It’s always fun when there are people shopping in the mall who are wearing their traditional attire-be it a sari, salwar kameez, or what not.
7. The food. If you are a seafood fan, you will be in hog heaven…while a lot of places in the US have chicken or barbeque specialties, this is seafood and pretty much just that. The clam chowder at Ivar’s is world-famous, and they have a smattering of different varieties of seafood dishes. Plus, we may not have Wolfgang Puck or Emeril, but we’ve got plenty of our own celeb chefs.
8. It’s a good place to raise a family. Not a TON of crime, good schools, lots and lots of parks, as well as other fun attractions-a zoo, an aquarium, and many more.
9. Yeah our sports teams may not be that good, but you can always check out the arts…which Seattle brings in spades. We’re actually a jumpoff point for many musicals that are hoping to get onto Broadway-both the Wedding Singer and Shrek did their previews here, and I believe Young Frankenstein did as well.
10. Sure, there are a lot of RICH people in Seattle-but it’s not so pretentious or snobby that you won’t fit in if you aren’t.
11. Our music scene has produced greats like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, MXPX, Jimi Hendrix, Quincy Jones…just to name a few.
12. Pallino. No, seriously. They make the best fettucini alfredo.